How do you prove to the government of the United States that you are extraordinary? The simplest way is to win a Nobel prize or Pulitzer Prize. But everybody can’t have it. Each year, the government of the America issues thousands of work permits to the non-nationals of the US on the basis of O-1 visa category. The foreigners who enter on the basis of O-1 visa have extraordinary abilities. The candidates entering in the United States of America with O-1 visa are increasing day by day and in the past few decades, the entries have taken a sharp rise. In 2015-16 the number of candidates was around one lakh.
What is O-1 visa?
An O-visa is a non-immigrant temporary worker visa given by the US to the individuals who have extraordinary ability in the field of science, arts, education, motion picture or TV industries, business, or athletics.
According to US Citizenship and Immigration Services, the O-visa can be categorized into following-
- O-1A- Given to the individuals having an excellent knowledge in the field of education, sciences, business, or athletics (excluding the arts, motion pictures or television industry).
- O-1B- Given to the individuals with the exceptional skills in the field of arts or exceptional performance in the motion picture or television industry.
- O-2- individuals who come along with an O-1 visa holder, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance. For an O-1A, the assistance of an O-2 visa holder is an essential part. The candidate who has an O-2 visa has significant abilities and experience.
- O-3- Granted to the individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1s and O-2s.
Key Features of the O-1 Visa-
- The individuals having O-1 visas can work legally in the US. But the individual wants to change the job type then he/she must have to apply for a new visa.
- O-1 visas can be assigned immediately.
- O visas are granted to the foreigners for a maximum period of three years and that can be extended up to one year.
- The family of O-1 visa holder may travel in and out of the U.S. or stay for as long as the visa stamp and status are valid.
- A spouse and unmarried children under age 21 may accompany the O-1 visa holder, but they may or may not accept employment in the US.
If you have extraordinary abilities and want to shift to the US, hiring an expert O-1 visa lawyer in NYC is a wise decision. Michael Wildes is a leading immigration attorney in New York, NY who has helped thousands of people to immigrate to US. To know more about his successful work stories, visit: Wildes & Weinberg.