Since the beginning, immigrants have worked towards the betterment of the country. Immigrants create job opportunities, are entrepreneurs and taxpayers. Despite all the positive steps, the immigrants are sidelined and threatened by the present United States administration. The latest crackdown has reported how the undocumented immigrants are all murderers, gang members, and the numerous threat they pose. The legal immigrants are said to be the potential terrorists.
Amidst all the political crackdowns, it is necessary that we focus on the positives. Immigrants have helped to build the country. Here are some amazing facts about immigrants in USA:
- Do you know that there are approximately 43.3 million foreign-born people live in the United States.
- The foreign-born population in the country includes 20.7 million naturalized U.S. citizens and about 22.6 million noncitizens.
- The number of immigrants in the United States has more than quadrupled since 165. It is said to reach 78 million by 2065.
- The present immigrants are more than they were 50 years ago.
- The statistics in 2015 reported that there were from 26.9% of immigrants were from Mexico, 2.7 million from China, 2.4 million from India, 2 million from Philippines, 1.2 million from Cuba, 1.3 million from Vietnam and 1.1 million each were from the Dominican Republic and South Korea.
- Do you know that more Mexican immigrants are returning home rather than staying in USA.
- From 2009-2014, about 1 million immigrants returned to Mexico.
- Till 2013, the Obama administration had removed nearly 2 million immigrants, the highest number under any president.
- With policies made extremely tough, the country will face shortage of 20 million workers by 2026.
- As of 2013, there are about 1 million gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender, adult immigrants in the United States.
- More than half of the immigrants in the country are homeowners and 65.2 percent of US born are the homeowners.
- Do you know fewer than 1 in 5 immigrants live in poverty.
- A 2017 study by the Cato Institute found that the incarceration rate for immigrants— authorized and unauthorized —ages 18 to 54 was very less than that of the U.S.-born population.
Do you want to know more about your immigrant status? Contact Wildes & Weinberg. They have one of the best immigration lawyers in New Jersey.