Getting a US citizenship is not only complex but also confusing. The Trump administration is slowly eliminating all the programs related to the immigrants gaining citizenship in the country. This is making the process a lot more complicated. Nevertheless, that does not mean that an immigrant cannot get citizenship of the US. It just means that it is a lot better if you opt to hire the best immigration lawyers in NJ.
- If you are taking the route of the natural citizenship, you must have the green card or permanent resident for a minimum of five years.
- If you are the spouse of a US citizen, you can apply for citizenship after three years.
- You must be over 18 and should be able to read, speak, and write English
- You should be able to prove your good moral character
- You should be convicted of crimes
If you meet the above-mentioned requirements, you will be considered eligible for the citizenship. You will be required to fill form N-400 and application for naturalization to begin the process.
DAPA and DACA Program
The year 2016 saw the end of Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Permanent Residents (DAPA). It was a boon for the illegal parents to get the citizenship who have children who are US citizens.In 2017, Trump administration ended the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). It was a program to help the people who came as undocumented immigrants in their childhood. With the end of these programs, it has become difficult for the immigrants to get their citizenship. Nonetheless, don’t think of this as an end. There are still ways to get your US citizenship.
The immigration law of the United States is very clear about the asylum status. You can apply for Asylum in the US if:
- If you are present in the US (legally or illegally) and not able to return to your country because:
- You might be persecuted in your home country on the basis of race, nationality, religion, political opinion or membership in a particular group.
- Remember that you apply for asylum if you are being persecuted by the government or a group that cannot be controlled by the government.
Victims of Crime
The visa was created in 2000 under Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act to protect and help the immigrants who were victims of crimes and helped law enforcement. With this visa, they will be able to help the law without worrying about going back. If you have been victim to mental or physical abuse in relation to the crime, you will be eligible to file for your citizenship under this act. The crimes include:
- Slave trade
- Felonious assault
- Kidnapping or Abduction
- Domestic Violence
Want to know more? Do you have questions regarding your case? Consult Wildes & Weinberg. They have one of the best immigration lawyers in NJ.